The Govt. of India announced new urban poverty alleviation scheme namely National Urban Livelihood Mission (NULM), which replaced the old scheme of SJSRY. The NULM is launched with the objective to reduce poverty and vulnerability of the urban poor households by enabling them to access gainful self-employment and skilled wage employment opportunities, resulting in an appreciable improvement in their livelihoods on a sustainable basis, through building strong grassroots level institutions of the poor. The mission would aim at providing shelter equipped with essential services to the urban homeless in a phased manner. In addition, the Mission would also address livelihood concerns of the urban street vendors by facilitating access to suitable spaces, institutional credit, social security and skills to the urban street vendors for accessing emerging market opportunities.
The NULM will be funded by Govt. of India and State Govt. in the ratio of 75:25
The major components of NULM are as under:
- Social Mobilization And Institution Development (SM&ID)
- Employment Through Skills Training And Placement (EST&P)
- Self-Employment Programme (SEP)
- Support to Urban Street Vendors (SUSV)
- Scheme of Shelter For Urban Homeless (SUH)
In the 12th Five Year Plan, NULM will be implemented in all the cities with a population of 100,000 or more as per 2011 Census and in cities/towns having District Headquarters. As per above criteria, only 22 towns (all 21 District HQ towns and Bahadurgarh being above one lakh population) of the State will be covered under NULM.
- The entire exercise of Socio-Economic & Caste Census-2011 (SECC-2011) for both the areas (rural and urban has already been completed in the State and the fresh lists of urban poor are expected from the Govt.
- The Department is in process of deciding the procedure for providing qualitative skill training to urban poor with the assistance of Technical Education, ITI, Higher Education and HARTRON and a meeting for this purpose would be convened shortly.
- The Administrative Approval for the construction of Shelters at four towns (Hisar, Yamunanagar, Rewari and Thaneshar) has already been communicated.
- The ULBs have already initiated the action for the identification of Street Vendors.
NATIONAL URBAN LIVELIHOOD MISSION
Cities covered under NULM
|Sr. No.||District||Town||ULB Pop. (Census-2011)||Status|
|A) District HQ Towns and also having urban population above one lakh|
|2||Ambala||Ambala||Ambala Sadar||104268||300484||Municipal Corporation|
|3||Y. Nagar||Yamuna Nagar||Yamunanagar||216628||341543||Municipal Corporation|
|B) Town(s) having urban population above one lakh, but is not District HQ|
|C) Town(s) having urban population below one lakh, but are District HQ|
|Total population to be covered under NULM||6162297|